Thursday, June 4, 2009

Well, I lied...

...the next post Isn't going to be from Japan. It's made from Moody. I'm sitting here on my bed in my packed dorm room, roommateless, and thinking "wow, this is the first time that I'm going to be away from Moody for more than a week or so since the summer of my freshman year." The work has always been here so this is where I've been. My good friend and summer RA just inspected my room (and it is clean enough to eat off of may I add!), signed my departure slip and we said our goodbyes...and I was sad. I do love her a lot and I'm going to miss her. Then I thought back to my summer roommate of two short weeks and thought of all fun we had during our time together, all the great conversations we had before we went to bed and I was thinking of how I miss her too. This got me thinking to two phone conversations that I had earlier in the week with two people who I love and who are very special to me and a hard goodbye that I had to make on Saturday and I thought of how much I've missed these people since I saw them last. I really do miss them deeply.

I'm fascinated with the doctrine of adoption. To think that God not only make provision for our sin, has declared us as righteous in His eyes, gives us the promise of eternal life in Heaven, loves us with an unending love, but also has adopted us into His family.

Galatian 4:4-6 "But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth His son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts crying, "Abba! Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."

Looking into the concept of adoption in Bible times and even today brings light to this topic. When one is adopted, they are specifically chosen by their new parents and are made like these parents' own child. They received all the rights and benefits of being in this family on a legal standpoint and a love one as well. It's really a beautiful picture.

Then to think this is what we have with God. He has chosen His children specifically and brought them into His family. Children of God received the love and affection of the Father, the Father's inheritance, the discipline of the Father, and many brothers and sisters as well.

Why do I want to be with all these people and others you ask? All the girls that I mentioned above are part of my family. We have the most important thing in the world in common and this is what our relationship consists of. Ephesians 4:15-16 says that when the body of Christ is functioning properly it builds itself up in love. I am blessed to be a part of this body and this family; to have been built up by some many different people in love. I'm thankful that this family confronts me on my character, challenges me to think deeply, has forgiven me quickly, stretches me, and has been a means that God has used to grow me up in Him. I love it.

I also think it's cool how when you meet another Christian you automatically have an instant connection with them. You have the family feel right from the start.

I'm excited to see this in Japan. I'm looking forward to meeting my family there, serving alongside them, and seeing Eph. 4:15-16. Family, one of God's many blessings.

6 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters
Free Counter