Wednesday, December 2, 2009

True Religion

I don't think of myself as an admirable person. I am very aware of my many flaws, very aware of my sinful tendencies, and very aware of that I am not nearly as spiritual as those around me. In the community in which I live, I go day in and day out with great Christian people. I feel very uncomfortable most of time.

Everyday I wonder if what I'm doing is what God wants. I still don't know. Everyday I fight with myself to make sure I'm not taking the easy way out, everyday I fight not to be selfish, everyday I fight myself to love other people, to not feel forgotten, to draw from the Word and somehow, in this, become more spiritual. I fail everyday.

Once upon a time I met a man named G.Q. G.Q. was an honest man- very bright, honest man, he knew a lot about a lot of things, and he especially liked learning about old, religious guys. They were his specialty. He studied these old, religious guys a lot. He studied their family, their schooling, anyone who interacted with them, and....their writings. As a matter of fact, he made me study their writing too. And boy, have I been thankful...

What is true religion? Is it having a grip on yourself and what you're doing with your life? Is it the spiritual aura that one lets off (or doesn't) when they walk into a room? Is it having Bible verses come to mind? Is it being jazzed up for Jesus, having peace before God, having your hair catch on fire? Is it being able to praise or having an appearance of love? Yes? No. No. No....No.

We cannot rightfully judge our spiritual standing based on these things. All of these can be manipulated [by us!] and we cannot really base this judgment on it. It can't be certain...I know I don't trust myself.

True religion is God's work. It's out of our capacity to control and manipulate. It can't be self-generated. It must be in God and towards God. It's one that sees God as He is-God centered-ness. True religion is loving God and neighbor. Only he can initiate that in us.

Hypocrites love to glory in themselves- in their experiences- loving to talk about themselves rather than God. Martin Luther call this the curve of the self into the self. Christianity is and inside out, theocentric kind of deal.

Our job is to read the word and wait. Assurance comes from practice. Over time we will be more sure that we really do love God. The thorn in the flesh will be there right along with us. Giving an increasing awareness of our sinfulness- humbling us, but the elect will persevere.

You're not a Christian because you feel like one. You don't always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters
Free Counter